The excel® V+ Laser by Cutera is the latest generation laser technology. The excel® V+ Laser delivers the power, precision, and performance to safely and effectively treat indications including challenging vascular and pigmentary conditions. Peraza Dermatology Group uses a consultative approach to determine which approach will achieve the desired results for patients.
What is it?
The excel® V+ Laser by Cutera delivers an intense but gentle burst of energy into selectively targeted areas of the skin. Factors such as the age, color, and type of lesions, as well as the location on the body, all determine the outcome of the treatments and how many sessions will be needed.
How does it work?
The excel® V+ Laser by Cutera features wavelengths of 532 and 1064nm that are preferentially absorbed by the chromophores of browns and reds, and fine lines/wrinkles — melanin, oxyhemoglobin, and water. The laser gives energy to the skin which is absorbed by blood vessels, scars, port wine stains, hemangiomas, and other vascular lesions. This relatively quick, comfortable procedure can eliminate blood vessels by precise tissue heating, i.e. energy is directed against the vessels alone and does not alter the surrounding skin. Usually, the vessels collapse during the treatment session, but there can be some post-treatment redness and swelling. Following treatment sessions with aggressive sun protection practices can produce longer-lasting results and prevent formation of similar lesions.
Where is it used?
The excel® V+ Laser by Cutera can treat vascular and pigmentary concerns on both the face and the body.
What should I expect after treatment?
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunblock with sun protection factor (SPF) greater than 30 to prevent further sun damage.
- Bruising, redness, and swelling are common and resolve with time.
- A “bug bite” appearance is common and usually resolves in 2 days.
- Avoid excessive heat (hot tubs, saunas, direct sun exposure) for 2 days.
- Avoid skin irritants (products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents) for 3 days following treatment.
- Please call our office if any concerning skin lesions develop (blistering, excessive redness/swelling, pain, etc.).
Leg vein treatments only:
- Compression stockings (20-30 mm/Hg) are optional.
- Avoid high impact activity for 3-5 days.
- Hemosiderin staining (brown discoloration) may occur after a treatment and usually resolves within months, but, on rare occasions, it may be permanent.
- Strict avoidance of sun exposure may decrease risk of permanent hemosiderin staining.
- Large leg veins may take many months to resolve and should not be re-treated for several months.